Tuesday, January 26, 2010

How to spot a WoW Phishing scam...

I'm getting so much spam from the account hackers nowadays, I don't think I would even read a legitamate email from Blizzard!

Since I've got so many examples, I thought I'd go through the obvious signs that your email is a scam.

1) You get a email from blizzard stating that it has been reported that you are attempting to sell your account. Please verify details.

Now I can 100% guarantee you, that if Blizzard thought you were selling your account, they would immediately freeze/ban it, and no amount of verifying or emailing will get them to unfreeze it. Believe me, I've been there (And I was trying to sell my account, so my own damn fault...)

2) The email asks for your password/secret question and answer.

Blizzard will never ask for your password. This is an immediate red flag that should stand out for you. Besides, they wouldn't ask for your password, they would ask for a copy of your ID, and your account name, to verify you are the account owner.

3) The email states that you have requested recently to change your password, if this was not you, please login to the following website [link] and login to change your password again immediately.

*sigh* such a clever trap. The website you click on might look like the Wow official one, but it's not. You can check the website URL to confirm (And I think there's even clever ways of masking this as well). If you right click on the link and copy/paste it as is, you should see that it's something phishy, like www.worldofwalcraft.com (notice r replaced with l or something similar).

4) If ever in doubt, check for grammer/spelling mistakes, check the sender address (The real one, sometimes the real sender can be masked with a pseudonym), and check the link they send you.

Rather log into the *real* website, using the bookmark you already have, or google it, and then you'll immediately see if your account's password has been changed, or if your account is under suspension. If not, then the email is fake, and you can safely ignore it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home